Skip to main content

contact improv as therapy

Recently a long-time CI dancing friend wrote:

for me c.i. is therapy. it invites all of me to show
up and be, be and explore. it invites me to know
myself and listen to others. i welcome that intention,
i love the way it is my teacher, my therapist, my
friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I, too regard c.i. dance practice as therapeutic.
Dance has been my pathway to get closer to myself and closer to others.

Through dancing using elements of c.i. with large numbers of people over the past 12 years or so, the majority of whom have had little or no experience with C.I., I have learned how to bring my authentic self into my interactions with others. It is through learning to listen and respond to myself while listening and responding to another in this very physical ‘dance’ form, that I have begun to understand what a sweet and satisfying thing it is to know myself and to know myself in relationship.

Exploring CI has helped me to discover my authentic self, and to bring that self into relationship with others; to offer that self in a supportive way; to allow myself to receive support in every move that my partners’ make; to know that I can give my receiving, (that my receiving is a gift), and I can give my giving, (that my giving is a gift), and that I can receive both someone’s giving and their receiving – as gifts. And that showing up with my full self, and inviting another to show up with her full self, or with the fullest self she can offer, is a delightfully satisfying dance of connection and intimacy for us both.

Offering myself to someone as a partner, and then listening to what ‘game’ that person wants to play, and being willing to follow and feel supported, no matter what ‘game style’ she chooses. Listening to how and when her ‘game’ changes. Bringing my desires and requests to the ‘game’, without demanding. This is what satisfies me and excites me and grows me.

It was astounding to me when I first realized that there could be mutually satisfying interactions between people. That even while I was totally satisfying myself, my partner could be, and WAS totally satisfying herself! That true collaboration did not require that someone sacrifice her desires. And the paradox; inclusion requires flexibility and the willingness to flow and adapt. Autonomy AND community. Independence AND interdependence.

I love CI for giving me a nonverbal way to have a genuine experience of connection with myself while relating with others. I love the very impersonal direct physical feedback it gives. I’m beginning to be able to understand how to listen to myself and others in and through spoken words as well. THIS takes a LOT of practice! ;-)

hugs,
harmony

I'll soon be re-establishing my ‘Shall We Dance?’ class that focuses on this exploration of connection to self and connection in relationship, through the lens of dance and partner movement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Dance

by Harmony Gates I was lying on my back in the center of the room. The music was slow the lights were low. A ritual preparation. Tuning in: to the room, to the music, to my body. He rolled up to me slowly… deliberately, I thought, and peered down at me; head cocked to the left, mouth slightly open, teeth slightly showing. I'd had this happen before; another day, another dance. He'd rolled up next to me, peering in my direction. I'd offered to connect, and he'd rolled right on past. But this time felt different. He stopped. I waited. He looked. I held his gaze. My right arm was outstretched hand open, reaching in slow motion. Inviting, offering, waiting. Wanting nothing, allowing everything. As if called forth-- his left arm, pinioned to his chest like an unfurled wing, began to extend. His hand, claw-like in it's spastic contraction met mine With incredible power and strength he closed his

Being Embraced

A Description of Contact Improvisation Dance Practice: Achieving inner stillness through attention to, and acute observation of our impulses; our bodily experience. Meeting at the point of touch and exploring, through mutual responsiveness, what movement wants to unfold from an authentic, neutral space Curiously exploring that meeting, that point, that present moment, while maintaining full, unconditional presence. Saying, “YES!” in response to the other, without diminishing our self; without compromising our own authenticity. Surrendering to process, letting go of judgment, of intention, of willfulness. Experiencing a spaciousness that allows full acceptance self and other. As we are. Mutually supporting what is happening. And when there are ‘disconnects’, stopping and waiting. Waiting for that full presence to come into each of us again; for that felt sense of, “Ah yes, you are here, I am here, we meet here.” And in agreement, continuing. Joined, yet separate and individual. Connecti

Where Pleasure Lives

  WHERE PLEASURE LIVES   Just now, Letting go   of mental review and prediction, or even naming;   and simply sensing,   or rather aware-ing .   Even the witness disappears, and there is only the experiencer. This is the place where pleasure lives.   The mourning doves come   in these moments. They fly in and directly approach me.   Time disappears,   Ambition disappears.   Needs disappear.   This open ended satisfaction and pleasure- Its Heart Centered- 100% open;   radiating, receiving, being, beaming, Blissing.   Blissing is a verb! This is the ultimate nourishment.   Why would I trade it for less? It is free of effort, free of trying.   Free of directing, free of reaching.   It is having . I can have it all. I can give it all. I can be it all.   Love will hold it all.   Trust, surrender, trust, surrender, trust, surrender.   If it's meant to happen, it will.   And I will know.   Put your arms around me baby,   put your arms around me baby.   Put your arms around me baby.