Skip to main content

How do I become an irresistible dance partner? (Part 2)


I anticipate a good time,
I anticipate connection,
I anticipate well-being
before I even head
to where I’m going dancing.

I bring myself with my heart
flowing
and open
and then I arrive.
I arrive
and let my focus
and my attention
be inside in my body,
in my sensational world.

And I begin to move
just how I feel,
often with my eyes closed,
just savoring being an alive,
mobile human.
Being and savoring being
in the ecstasy of being alive,
being in a body,
being a body--
With all that’s available to me:
sounds
smells
pressure
Breath.

I luscious myself up
for a while
and continue to sense
deeper and deeper.
It’s like sparking
my own fire.
And fanning,
and feeling
I am here!

Then I’ve got to rise up,
and look around,
(still from this very embodied place).

But now I'm eager
to be available,
to be accessible.

I'm eager
to be influenced.
So that what I am,
and who I am
can have some kind of exchange
of energy
to feel myself as more.

I’m looking to put some spice
and some difference
and some multi layers
into my movement.

And so I’m open,
looking and seeing.
At first just vaguely--
peripherally.

I’m seeing different people
doing different energy.
I’m measuring my energy
against theirs
and tasting to see
if what they’re doing
is something my being
is wanting.

I move closer
to have a little bit more of that
by resonating with it.

I shop a little bit
and bring my little tone.
I come near other tones
and see which ones blend
in a way that feels exciting
and harmonizing.

And when I’m drawn
I have a look,
make a little eye contact.
See if that person
is also accessible
and open--

Or if they’re completely
still in their inner world
with their eyes closed
their energy closed in.

I don’t join anybody
closed in
because they’re not joinable.
But I sense and feel
with many parts:
with my eyes
with my movement
with my smile.

And I’m looking
at nonverbal cues
whether someone’s available
enough.

First there's a little eye contact,
like ah!
Like a little brush
against somebody
visually.

And then maybe
I come back and see–
I brush again,
and meanwhile,
am partnering with them already.

My moves
have started to echo theirs.
And I’m aware of whether
there’s something
in their dance
that’s responding into my dance.
Something that’s not just
their dance
but is taking in a little bit
of my dance.

I can notice that,
I can feel that,
I can see it, I can sense it.

And those feel like little “yeses”.
So those keep me there longer--
playing with "aha, so!"…

And the way I come in
once I’ve made eye contact,
Is like, “Hi, I’m safe,
I’m your friend;
do you want to dance?"

"Let’s dance,
come play with me,”
with full expectation,
and anticipation
that they will want that,
and want me
and answer, “Yeah!”

And what I’m saying
to them is,
“Bring it on, honey!
Give me what you’ve got,
let’s play!”

And in order to do that
I have to feel really safe
and I have to know that
if I get involved in this--
and you end up somehow,
or I end up somehow
feeling, “Not anymore!”
--that I know how to leave:

“Hey, bye now!” zzzzzt
and off I go.

Or even beautifully,
“Oh, my God,
I’m so in
I don’t know how to leave.”
It could be that.

And I know that somehow,
some way,
I can trust myself,
take care of myself,
stay present in the moment,
and breathe.

dHG 3/2013







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Dance

by Harmony Gates I was lying on my back in the center of the room. The music was slow the lights were low. A ritual preparation. Tuning in: to the room, to the music, to my body. He rolled up to me slowly… deliberately, I thought, and peered down at me; head cocked to the left, mouth slightly open, teeth slightly showing. I'd had this happen before; another day, another dance. He'd rolled up next to me, peering in my direction. I'd offered to connect, and he'd rolled right on past. But this time felt different. He stopped. I waited. He looked. I held his gaze. My right arm was outstretched hand open, reaching in slow motion. Inviting, offering, waiting. Wanting nothing, allowing everything. As if called forth-- his left arm, pinioned to his chest like an unfurled wing, began to extend. His hand, claw-like in it's spastic contraction met mine With incredible power and strength he closed his

Being Embraced

A Description of Contact Improvisation Dance Practice: Achieving inner stillness through attention to, and acute observation of our impulses; our bodily experience. Meeting at the point of touch and exploring, through mutual responsiveness, what movement wants to unfold from an authentic, neutral space Curiously exploring that meeting, that point, that present moment, while maintaining full, unconditional presence. Saying, “YES!” in response to the other, without diminishing our self; without compromising our own authenticity. Surrendering to process, letting go of judgment, of intention, of willfulness. Experiencing a spaciousness that allows full acceptance self and other. As we are. Mutually supporting what is happening. And when there are ‘disconnects’, stopping and waiting. Waiting for that full presence to come into each of us again; for that felt sense of, “Ah yes, you are here, I am here, we meet here.” And in agreement, continuing. Joined, yet separate and individual. Connecti

A Cannabis Lesson

I remember smoking some cannabis many years ago when I was visiting the island of Kauai. I wasn’t a frequent smoker. In fact I’d had a skeptical relationship with the plant. I was lying under a Plumeria tree and as soon as I felt ‘high’, I started feeling disoriented and panicked about the seemingly ongoing open-endedness of my own existence.   Simply experiencing the structureless and infinite possibilities of where to focus my awareness was terrifying. I remember the free-floating panic I was experiencing and I felt   overwhelmed with the idea that I had no idea how to direct my focus or my Self, believing that I had no way of knowing how I was supposed to focus my attention, my energy, or myself. I imagined an endless existence with endless possibilities, and   no structure to hold or guide me. This provoked such anxiety that I longed for the effect of the marijuana to swiftly wear off and bring me back to the state of mind I was accustomed to .   I thought I was doomed to, or trapp