Skip to main content

Transform resentment to re-establish feelings of love, appreciation and connection

I have been coaching them as they prepare for marriage, Thinking about my final session with them, it’s clear that they’ve been holding feelings of resentment toward each other. 


The following is a portion of my follow-up email with them just after their final session with me.

(I’ve used only the first letter of their first names here, to protect their anonymity.):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Resentment is a feeling we get when we believe we are being treated unfairly.  Fairness is important to both of you, (and FYI, the primate brain is wired to value and desire fairness)


In addition, I understood that you, J have been feeling ‘controlled or restricted’ which means that you're wanting to feel more freedom, independence and autonomy. This is not something that C can give you. It is something that you must find a way claim for yourself. How can you feel free, and still make choices that support your relationship with C, and the projects and life that you wish create together? 


C, I understand you are primarily wanting/needing collaboration, help, support, mutuality, reciprocity, and a sense of working as a team. How can you make it easier for J to say, “yes” to teaming with you? How can you enroll him in a way that works for him? For you both?


J, considering your high value of autonomy, freedom and independence, what might you request of C that could make it easier for you to want to work together with her as a team? Can you let her know In what ways she could better honor and respect your need for autonomy, while still requesting and receiving your participation and collaboration? How can you proactively care for your own needs for autonomy, so you aren’t feeling pushed into reactivity? 


As we saw in the session, recognition, appreciation, acknowledgement, and softening into our caring about the other’s feelings, are powerful bridges for re-establishing a feeling of mutual connection. When we feel seen, respected and appreciated, we are so much more willing to listen to each other, and find the willingness to work together to resolve problems. 


It’s easier for someone to hear and care about our feelings and needs, when we ourselves clearly understand what they are and communicate them.  This is the inner work. A partner can help by empathic listening. But it’s difficult when both partners need empathy at the same time. 


So do take some quiet time, daily, if possible, each of you, to feel your feelings (without judging them…they are there to give you information and insight into what needs are not being met). Our needs surface on their own when we care about our own feelings and embrace our feelings, even when they feel uncomfortable. But we have to invite this process by taking time to become quiet and self-reflective. Time to feel ourselves. Time to hear ourselves.


I hope both of you are feeling a little more ease in finding your way. Emotionally intimate relationship is probably the biggest challenge in life. To maintain our personal autonomy, while sharing intimacy with another… is a giant challenge. But it is so worth the work to keep opening our hearts, owning responsibility for our experiences, refining our communication skills, and learning to trust, and bond with another. Learning to navigate conflict healthily and to repair emotional ruptures, is a crucial key for establishing and nurturing long-term deep caring, loving relationships. 


It has been my pleasure to provide some help and guidance for you in this process. I hope this email is helpful to both of you as you continue to prepare for your wedding, and for your years beyond. --Harmony




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Dance

by Harmony Gates I was lying on my back in the center of the room. The music was slow the lights were low. A ritual preparation. Tuning in: to the room, to the music, to my body. He rolled up to me slowly… deliberately, I thought, and peered down at me; head cocked to the left, mouth slightly open, teeth slightly showing. I'd had this happen before; another day, another dance. He'd rolled up next to me, peering in my direction. I'd offered to connect, and he'd rolled right on past. But this time felt different. He stopped. I waited. He looked. I held his gaze. My right arm was outstretched hand open, reaching in slow motion. Inviting, offering, waiting. Wanting nothing, allowing everything. As if called forth-- his left arm, pinioned to his chest like an unfurled wing, began to extend. His hand, claw-like in it's spastic contraction met mine With incredible power and strength he closed his

Being Embraced

A Description of Contact Improvisation Dance Practice: Achieving inner stillness through attention to, and acute observation of our impulses; our bodily experience. Meeting at the point of touch and exploring, through mutual responsiveness, what movement wants to unfold from an authentic, neutral space Curiously exploring that meeting, that point, that present moment, while maintaining full, unconditional presence. Saying, “YES!” in response to the other, without diminishing our self; without compromising our own authenticity. Surrendering to process, letting go of judgment, of intention, of willfulness. Experiencing a spaciousness that allows full acceptance self and other. As we are. Mutually supporting what is happening. And when there are ‘disconnects’, stopping and waiting. Waiting for that full presence to come into each of us again; for that felt sense of, “Ah yes, you are here, I am here, we meet here.” And in agreement, continuing. Joined, yet separate and individual. Connecti

A Cannabis Lesson

I remember smoking some cannabis many years ago when I was visiting the island of Kauai. I wasn’t a frequent smoker. In fact I’d had a skeptical relationship with the plant. I was lying under a Plumeria tree and as soon as I felt ‘high’, I started feeling disoriented and panicked about the seemingly ongoing open-endedness of my own existence.   Simply experiencing the structureless and infinite possibilities of where to focus my awareness was terrifying. I remember the free-floating panic I was experiencing and I felt   overwhelmed with the idea that I had no idea how to direct my focus or my Self, believing that I had no way of knowing how I was supposed to focus my attention, my energy, or myself. I imagined an endless existence with endless possibilities, and   no structure to hold or guide me. This provoked such anxiety that I longed for the effect of the marijuana to swiftly wear off and bring me back to the state of mind I was accustomed to .   I thought I was doomed to, or trapp